What is the best way to clean your jewelry?
What is the best way to clean your jewelry and keep it looking brand new? This question can be answered in a few different ways depending on resources. If there is enough time definitely bring your items in to the jewelry store for a cleaning. Most stores should offer a complimentary cleaning service for all of their customers. If not come to luxamart Jewelry Exchange in frisco, TX at 4944 Preston Road Suite 116. Below you will find the best tips that are the easiest and most cost efficient way of cleaning your jewelry.
If you have rings you haven’t taken off in a while, you may notice they’ve lost their sparkle. Soap, lotion, dirt and powder leave a film that dulls the sparkle of gemstones, and we all know what happens to sterling silver.
Any qualified jeweler can give your jewelry a quick shine, but it’s really not that difficult to do it yourself. Here are some easy, do-it-yourself methods that have worked for years.
• Antoinette Matlins, author of several popular gem and jewelry buying guides recommends cleaning fine jewelry regularly by soaking it for a few minutes in warm (not hot) water with a mild detergent, then brush gently with a soft toothbrush. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with a lint-free cloth. I sometimes throw a couple pieces into a jar of Jewel Brite, let it soak, clean it with the little brush that comes with it and polish with an eyeglass wipe.
• How to get the sparkle back into seriously grimy rubies, sapphires or diamonds? Hot water mixed half-and-half with ammonia removes built-up grime from diamonds and corundum (rubies and sapphires), but avoid ammonia on all other gemstones.
• Due to its unusual glass-like structure and high water content, opals are prone to cracking. Avoid exposing opal jewelry to extreme temperature changes, arid conditions and prolonged submersion in water. To keep opals from drying out, store them in a plastic bag with a damp cotton ball.
• If you need to clean a lot of jewelry at once, I know some people who swear by the electronic cleaners. Matlins, however, recommends you use commercial cleaners sparingly or, better yet, stick with ionic cleaner which are safe for all gems.
• Because silk thread can wear thin, pearls and other frequently worn beads should be restrung once a year. A rule of thumb: if you can hear your jewelry when you wear it, it’s time for a tune-up.
• Keep lotions and perfumes away from pearls since the fumes can produce a chemical reaction that will erode the pearl surfaces. Pearls are recommended to be slightly soaked with a non abrasive gentle cleanser.
Come in to luxamart today for the greatest value for your jewelry needs! We buy, sell and repair and clean diamond rings, gold, silver, platinum and coins. We also sell and buy and repair luxury watches, Engagement rings, necklaces and much more. We are located in booming frisco, TX at Lebanon and Preston Rd.
4944 Preston Rd Suite #116
We thank you for the opportunity to earn your business!!!!